What should be considered before participating in a clinical trial?
There are many different factors that should be considered before determining whether a clinical trial is the best fit for a particular person.
- What is the purpose of the study?
- Who is going on the study?
- Why do researchers believe the experimental treatment being tested may be effective? Has it been tested before?
- How do the possible risks, side effects and benefits in the study compare with current treatment?
- How might this trial affect a person's daily life?
- How long will the trial last?
- Will hospitalization be required?
- Who will pay for the experimental treatment?
- Will participants be reimbursed for other expenses?
- What type of long term follow up care is part of this study?
- How will participants know the experimental treatment is working?
- Will results of trial be made available to participants?
- Who will be in charge of care for participants?