HeartSUCCESS® Heart Failure Management Program
HeartSUCCESS® is a comprehensive heart failure management program offered by the Wellmont CVA Heart Institute. This dedicated team of cardiovascular specialists is helping patients understand heart failure and creating treatment plans specifically for them.
What is heart failure?
Heart failure is a serious medical condition where the heart does not pump blood around the body as well as it should, which means blood cannot deliver the oxygen a person’s body needs to work normally.
Heart failure is often the result of other medical conditions, such as coronary artery disease, heart attacks or high blood pressure, which damage the heart muscle or cause it to be overworked. Heart failure does not mean a person’s heart is about to stop working. However, it does mean the heart is having a difficult time meeting the body’s needs.
Heart failure affects each person differently and can develop at any age, but it becomes more common as age increases.
Symptoms of heart failure include:
- Shortness of breath, which can happen even during mild activity
- Trouble breathing while lying down
- Weight gain and swelling of the legs and ankles
- Fatigue and weakness
A number of different factors can put a person at risk for heart failure:
- High blood pressure
- Previous heart attack
- Damage to the heart valves or history of heart murmur
- Enlarged heart
- Family history of enlarged heart
There are also some simple steps anyone can take to help reduce the risks of experiencing heart failure:
- Seek educational materials to better understand heart failure, its symptoms and how to manage it
- Limit salt intake
- Weigh daily and contact a physician if weight changes significantly
- Exercise based on a physician’s recommendations
- Take all medications as prescribed
- Schedule routine check-ups with the HeartSUCCESS® clinic
Why choose the HeartSUCCESS® program?
Doctors can do more than ever today to help heart failure patients live
normal lives and reduce the chances of hospitalization. Early diagnosis
and treatment are very important.
Our dedicated team of cardiovascular specialists will:
- Fully diagnose the condition so patients can learn how to deal with it
- Coordinate and communicate with all doctors involved in the care process
- Create treatment and medication plans appropriate to each patient’s specific condition and other health conditions
- Provide routine check-ups and offer educational programs to keep patients healthy
- Improve and maintain quality of life, minimizing the need for hospitalization
Getting started with HeartSUCCESS®
Because there are different types of heart failure, a physician will
typically order an echocardiogram to determine a person’s ejection
fraction – or EF – a measurement of how well the heart is pumping. A typical EF is 60 percent, while an EF of less than 60 percent can indicate
the heart is not pumping normally. This echocardiogram can help a doctor
determine what type of heart failure a patient may be experiencing.
The HeartSUCCESS® heart failure management program can then offer the resources needed to understand and manage heart failure and live a normal life.
For more information or to schedule an appointment please contact us today.
Bristol (423) 230-6900
Greeneville (423) 638-2270
Johnson City (423) 282-5054
Kingsport (423) 230-5673