Marsh Regional Blood Center
Since its establishment as the region’s first independent blood bank at Holston Valley Community Hospital in 1947, the goal of Marsh Regional Blood Center has been to collect and maintain a local blood supply to meet local needs. Through generous support from donors, it has grown steadily. In 1987, it was officially named Marsh Regional in honor of Lois Marsh, its founder and supervisor for forty years.
Today, Marsh Regional continues to operate as an independent blood center, providing a safe and affordable blood supply to hospitals and other medical facilities throughout Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia. Each year Marsh Regional collects, processes, tests, stores and distributes tens of thousands of units of blood and blood products.
Marsh Regional Blood Center is a member of AABB and the Tennessee Association of Blood Banks and is a federally inspected and licensed blood center through the Food & Drug Administration.
- 1947 – Established at Holston Valley Medical Center — then Holston Valley Community Hospital — in Kingsport, Tenn.
- 1952 – First accredited by the American Association of Blood Banks
- 1987 – Named Marsh Regional Blood Center in honor of Lois Marsh, its founder and long-time supervisor
- 1991 – Added a satellite collection center, the Community Blood Bank of Norton, Va. (established in 1953 to serve hospitals in Southwest Virginia)
- 1996 – Added a collection center at Bristol Regional Medical Center in Bristol, Tenn.
- 2006 – Transitioned the Community Blood Bank of Norton into a mobile collection facility utilizing three bloodmobiles