Neurology and neuroscience are complex fields of medicine that diagnose and treat disorders of the brain and nervous system. Wellmont Health System’s team of neurologists, neurosurgeons, specially certified nurses and care staff create a neurological healthcare network that delivers unique neurologic treatment solutions unparalleled in the Tri-Cities region of Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia. To diagnose and treat neurologic disorders, Wellmont board-certified neurologists, physicians and other experts perform a variety of studies.
- Behavioral studies explore the causes of peoples’ actions.
- System-level studies focus on different aspects of the nervous system, including vision, speech and hearing.
- Local circuit-level studies help determine how specific groups of nerve cells function.
- Synapse-level studies explore how connections are made within the brain.
- Genetic-level studies focus on the basic building blocks of how individuals develop and function.
- Sleep studies research and diagnose sleep disorders, which can be treated in sleep labs throughout Wellmont.
Wellmont actively contributes to ongoing research in the field of neuroscience, helping pave the way to future advancements in neurology and neurologic treatment solutions.
The road to recovery from neurologic and nerve disorders or surgery can be a challenging one. Wellmont provides a wide range of inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation and therapy services.
Certified physical therapists help patients regain strength and mobility, while certified occupational therapists help patients regain the ability to perform everyday tasks. Wellmont also helps provide community support through outreach programs, classes, screenings and support groups.
Partnerships for neurologic care
To treat and diagnose a wide range of neurologic and nerve disorders, Wellmont partners with regional physicians board-certified in neurology, neurosurgery and other areas of specialization. Wellmont’s neurology physicians provide extensive services for patients with ailments of the brain, spine and central nervous system.