Pediatric rehabilitation services can change the lives of children struggling with rehabilitation or developmental needs. Wellmont Health System is committed to providing high-quality children's services, including pediatric rehabilitation for children in Kingsport, Bristol, Johnson City and the entire Tri-Cities region of Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia.
Wellmont physical therapists have advanced education and training in pediatric medicine. Their goal is to maximize functional independence in children from birth to 18 years of age. Families play important roles in this process, so Wellmont’s physical therapists also work with parents to determine specific therapy goals for each child.
Conditions Treated by Pediatric Rehabilitation Services
Pediatric rehabilitation can assist children facing a number of physical challenges. Many children can benefit from Wellmont’s pediatric rehabilitation services, including children who experience:
- Abnormal walking patterns or joint mobility
- Asymmetrical body use
- Delays in motor development
- Equipment needs, including wheelchairs or walkers
- Excessive or involuntary movement
- Genetic conditions such as Down syndrome
- Learning disabilities
- Neurological conditions such as cerebral palsy or traumatic brain or spinal cord injuries
- Neuromuscular disorders such as muscular distrophy
- Orthopedic conditions such as postural abnormalities, arthritis or amputations
- Over- or under-sensitivity to touch, sound, sight, smell or movement
- Torticollis, a congenital or acquired condition of limited neck motion
- Unusually high or low activity levels
Wellmont’s pediatric rehabilitation therapists are committed to making sure every child receives the best and most appropriate treatment for their condition, helping them climb higher, walk taller and reach their full physical potential.
Outpatient Pediatric Rehabilitation