Individuals suffering from a sleep disorder are not alone. More than 70 million people within the United States are affected by sleep problems and sleep disorders.
A sleep study can provide detailed information to help confirm a sleep disorder. It is important to be diagnosed, because sleep disorders can contribute to other diseases and conditions including stroke, high blood pressure, depression, diabetes and heart disease.
Wellmont Health System’s sleep evaluation centers are committed to the diagnosis and treatment of more than 85 recognized sleep disorders, most of which can be managed effectively once they have been correctly diagnosed.
Common sleep problems and sleep disorders
Many sleep disorders go unrecognized for years, leading to poor quality of life and even accidents. And some sleep problems have been linked to serious health issues, ranging from heart disease to diabetes.
Some of the most common sleep problems and sleep disorders include:
- Snoring and sleep apnea
- Restless leg syndrome
- Periodic limb movement syndrome
- Gastroesophageal reflux
Symptoms of sleep problems and sleep disorders
Sleep disorders can happen to men, women and children of all ages and sizes. Most people don’t realize they suffer from a sleep disorder. Often, it is a bed partner that first notices the signs.
Some common signs and symptoms of sleep problems and sleep disorders include:
- Snoring, interrupted by pauses in breathing
- Gasping or choking during sleep
- Restless sleep
- Excessive sleepiness or fatigue during the day
- Large neck size (greater than 17 inches in men; greater than 16 inches in women)
- Morning headache
- Sexual dysfunction
- Frequent urination at night
- Poor judgment or concentration
- Memory loss
- High blood pressure
Individuals who snore regularly and have one or more of these symptoms should talk to their physician to determine if a sleep disorder may be the cause.
Take an onlinesleep evaluation now using the Epworth Sleepiness Scale, and determine whether you are getting the sleep you need.
Advantages of Wellmont Sleep Medicine
Wellmont’s team of highly qualified sleep experts can help diagnose and treat many sleep problems quickly and professionally. Wellmont’s professional staff members will schedule an appointment within two weeks and can sometimes provide immediate accommodations. And Wellmont’s sleep experts work hard to catalog each patient’s symptoms, evaluate sleep patterns, identify possible problems and provide treatment recommendations.
Sleep studies are performed seven days a week – both day and night – and are monitored by trained sleep lab technicians at convenient Wellmont sleep evaluation centers located throughout Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia.
Results from sleep studies are read in a timely manner by one of Wellmont’s board-certified sleep medicine physicians.
Wellmont’s sleep medicine patients can rest assured they will receive compassionate, quality care from professionals who are committed to helping them sleep better.
Preparing to visit a sleep evaluation center
Patients having a sleep study at Wellmont can rest easy in one of our state-of-the-art sleep facilities.
Decorated in warm, soothing colors, the atmosphere is comparable to what one might expect to find at a leading hotel chain. Patients can sleep in their own pajamas and bring certain items from home to make the environment more comfortable.
Patients preparing to visit a Wellmont sleep evaluation center should:
- Remember to make necessary arrangements for morning transportation
- Avoid caffeine and naps on the day of the study
- Refrain from using hair spray, lotions or make-up for their study
- Leave all phones, pagers and other communication devices outside the sleep center
Patients should bring the following when they visit a Wellmont sleep evaluation center:
- Doctor’s order, insurance card and any other documentation
- Required sleepwear – pajamas, a gown or other attire
- All current medications – including antacids, medicines to help sleep and medicines for pain relief or other conditions
- Any small items – such as a pillow, book or magazine – to make the environment more comfortable during their sleep evaluation
Getting started with better sleep
Patients who believe they may be experiencing sleeping problems or a sleep disorder can begin the journey toward a better night’s rest today.
- Take a quick, onlinesleep evaluation to learn more.
- Speak to a nurse now at 1-877-230-NURSE for more information or to schedule an appointment to talk with a physician.
- Complete anonline request for more information from Wellmont’s sleep medicine experts.
For patients in Bristol, Kingsport, Johnson City and throughout the Tri-Cities region of Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia, Wellmont offers comfortable and convenient sleep evaluation centers and the medical expertise needed to bring an end to many sleeping problems.
Wellmont Sleep Medicine. Rest. Assured.
Find a Wellmont Medical Associates sleep medicine practice
Wellmont Medical Associates Pulmonology and Sleep patients enjoy seamless access to the full scope of medical experts and related specialties offered by Wellmont Health System.
Visit the online physician and provider directory to search a complete list of all physicians with privileges to practice medicine in at least one Wellmont hospital or facility.