As you prepare for surgery, it is critically important that you strictly follow any special pre-operative instructions provided by your physician and the general guidelines you receive from the surgical team. These may include instructions regarding when to arrive for admission and what, if any, food and fluids you may consume prior to your procedure.
In addition, pre-operative testing may include:
- A review of your complete medical history
- Checking your temperature, blood pressure and pulse rate
- Blood tests
Once pre-operative tests are concluded, the surgical team will prep you for your procedure. This may include:
- Removal of clothes, jewelry and personal items
- Putting on a cap and surgical gown
- Receiving medications to help you relax and reduce anxiety
- Special cleansing and preparation of the surgical area
If you have questions about a particular type of surgery or need more general surgical information, please call the Wellmont Nurse Connection at 1-877-230-NURSE.