Board Of Directors Of Wellmont Medical Associates Named; 12 Physicians To Guide Integrated Practices
Twelve expert physicians will serve as the first members of Wellmont Medical Associates’ board of directors, providing
valuable direction for the umbrella organization of Wellmont Health System’s
integrated physician practices.
Wellmont Medical Associates was recently created as a
physician-led and professionally managed entity that enables physicians to set
the direction for patient care. Built on the philosophy that physicians know
best how to care for patients, the new entity has its own mission that
complements the mission and vision of Wellmont.
The inaugural board members are:
- Dr. David Astin, a family medicine physician with Midtown
Medical Center in Bristol
- Dr. James Beckner, an obstetrician and gynecologist with
Holston Valley Specialty OB/GYN in Kingsport
- Dr. Landon Combs, a pediatrician with Gray Station Primary
Care in Gray
- Dr. Amanda Dove, a family medicine physician with Medical
Associates of Rogersville in Rogersville
- Dr. Maurice Nida, an internal medicine physician with
Medical Associates of Big Stone Gap in Big Stone Gap, Va.
- Dr. Sue Prill, an oncologist with Blue Ridge Medical
Specialists in Bristol
- Dr. Kimberly Roller, a family medicine physician with
Medical Associates at Exit 7 in Bristol, Va.
- Dr. Joseph Smiddy, a pulmonologist with Pulmonary Associates
of Kingsport in Kingsport
- Dr. Lenita Thibault, an obstetrician and gynecologist with
Women’s Health Care Specialists in Kingsport
- Dr. David Thompson, an internal medicine physician with
Bristol Medical Associates in Bristol
- Dr. Anil Tumkur, an oncologist with Kingsport Hematology
Oncology in Kingsport
- Dr. Marissa Vito Cruz, a hospitalist at Lonesome Pine
Hospital in Big Stone Gap
These physicians were elected by their colleagues at
Wellmont Medical Associates, and Wellmont Health System’s board of directors
endorsed the selections. Wellmont Medical Associates has about 110 physicians.
Dr. Thompson has been elected chairman, Dr. Nida has been
elected vice chairman and Dr. Combs has been elected secretary.
“This is an elite
group of 12 medical professionals who will serve as a model not only in our
region but throughout the country for the direction of high-quality patient
care,” said Dr. Stephen Combs, chief executive medical officer of Wellmont
“These physicians are
focused on delivering superior health care with compassion and will reinforce
Wellmont’s position as the premier health system in our region. During these
times of unprecedented change brought by health care reform, their guidance
will be extremely valuable and benefit patients greatly.”
Nearly 60 percent of the physicians in Wellmont Medical
Associates are primary care physicians. The remainder practice in specialties
such as pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, oncology and hematology,
pulmonology and critical care, general surgery, palliative care, orthopedic
surgery and infectious disease.
Wellmont has the largest collective number of
pulmonologists, sleep specialists and oncologists in the region.