• Wayne Seal, heart patient

  • Wayne Seal
  • Still here for the major moments

    Wayne Seal didn't feel well on the morning of July 8, 2013, but he never imagined his uneasy feeling would turn out to be a heart attack.

    Luckily, Hancock County Hospital was located near Wayne's home. Thanks to their quick intervention, he was able to receive quick, lifesaving cardiovascular care.

    Without their efforts, Wayne wouldn't be here today. And he wouldn't have been there a month after his heart attack - when he was on-hand to walk his daughter down the aisle.

  • Wayne Seal
  • Read Wayne’s story

    Hello, my name is Wayne Seal and my story began July 8, 2013, at Hancock County Hospital.

    I went to work that morning feeling fine, but after about 30 to 45 minutes, I was sweating and not feeling well at all. I went to the clinic at work and was told that my blood pressure was a little high and to go on to the emergency room, but I am stubborn and didn't really want to go.

    So, my wife took me home, and I started to feel a little better. It didn't last long, and when I began hurting in both elbows, I knew something wasn't right.

    We ended up going to the emergency room at Hancock County Hospital. Actually, we went through the front door, and as soon as I told them I wasn't feeling well and was hurting in my arms and chest, they walked me on back to the emergency room, and my wife left to take care of the paperwork.

    I remember speaking to the person in the bed next to where they wanted me, and then I tossed my hat onto the counter - and that is the last thing I remember for a while.

    I had a heart attack. They worked on me for quite a while. I don't remember the doctor's names, but I can remember the nurses: Phyllis Dossett, Mary Brailey, April Maloney and Robin Wilson (there were more people around me who I didn't know). When I finally came to and was coherent, there was a sea of faces surrounding me, and it kind of startled me.

    Danyale Hurd Wade was also working that day. She knew my wife, and she stayed with her while she watched them working on me and trying to stabilize me.

    They figured out that I had two blockages, and I was flown by Lifestar to UT Hospital, where I received two stints - one in the "widow maker" artery.

    I am a firm believer that if Hancock County Hospital had not been here in Sneedville, and if they hadn't had such skilled and dedicated doctors and nurses, I wouldn't have been there on Aug. 24, 2013, to walk my daughter down the aisle at her wedding. I definitely wouldn't be here today.

  • My Story

    Share your Wellmont story Learn more

    Whether you were born here, healed here or both, we want to hear about it! Your experience drives our caregivers and inspires our community. Share your story with us.

  • Share your story

    Did a compassionate smile lift your spirits? Or did a world-class team of physicians save your life? Whether you were born here, healed here or both, we want to hear your story.

    If you do share your experience, you may be contacted by a Wellmont representative for more details.